Wednesday 24 November 2010

My Music press Front cover and Contents Page





This is my music magazine's front cover and my contents page. In order to create the final outcome there were many design processes to get different effects for my first cover. Firstly as my target audience ranges from 17-23 I had to ensure that the design will forfil their needs and attract them to buy my magazine.  While I was creating the front cover I also had to consider the:
  • Colour
  • Layout
  • Information text used on the front cover to give the audience and insight to what is inside the magazine.
  • Language
To create the cover, I had to take many photos that I would be using. I wanted the front cover image to be at a mid shot angle. Once all my photos were taken, I then began to edit the photos slightly to make the photos stand out because of the effect. Once all the photos were taken, I then had to decide the background colour and the masthead. I decided to have a black background colour as I do not want the background colour to over-power the masthead and the images. I also think that black is quite a bold colour therefore it still attracts the audience. I then had to decide the font colour which I would be using. I had to choose from a paint panel as these were the colours that were available to me. I chose  the colour pink as I feel that pink is a fun colour, and the shade of pink that I decided to use is very femine and girly.




Once the background colour was decided, I then had to create the font for my masthead. I wanted the font to be unique and eye catching and a BOLD font. Therefore I went www.da-font.com to get my font as they have thousands of different styles of font. Once I found the perfect font, I then edited it on photoshop. I changed the background colour to black, and changed the font colour to white.  I felt that this makes the font bolder and unique and still manages to appeal to the target audience.  However I decided that for my masthead I wanted two different fonts so that it appeals to more women because they should either like one font or the other font.  I also felt that by having two different fonts that make up the masthead, makes the magazine have a different appeal because it feels that is attracts a variety of women.  I wanted the second font to be very soft and gentle which stereotypes women because women are seen to be the gentle and more sensitive then men and are seen to be the more caring gender.  Therefore I want a font to represent and support this stereotype. The font I chose is very feminine because its very soft and tender and this holds the right emotion.


Once, the Fonts and Main image were decided and inputed onto photoshop to create my font cover, I then had to add all the information onto my front cover. The additional Information that I had to add where the Bar-code, the date, the issue number it was and other features which was Inside this weeks issue. Here is the process of how I made My font cover.











To gain extra knowledge on previous magazines covers, I based my front cover on KERRANG magazine, as I feel this cover best appeals to there target audience. There do this is many ways, firstly by the font that they use. The magazine promotes punk and rock music which is seen to be very "loud" and the disfigurement in the text symbolises this. Having big sound represents the big fonts. I like this effect because it attracts its audience and because the font is very different and can be easily regonised by other audiences as they would become familiar with the font. I also like the design layout that KERRANG uses on the front cover, therefore I based my front cover on this issue of KERRANG.

Contents Page:
While creating My contents Page, I researched different Music Magazines to ensure that I was creating and designing my contents Page correctly. While researching, I found a good contents page in the music magazine of KERRANG, therefore I decided to base my music magazine on KERRANG so that I could be inspired by many different ideas just by looking at KERRANG's context page.





As you see, KERRANG contents page has a very good layout which I like. I like how it is very simple to navigate around with a few images and information but it still attracts the audience. It is appealing to the audience because of the colour of text which is used. Yellow and Black are both very bold and appealing colours as they easily stand out against other colours. Therefore this is my contents page (be-low), I needed to use bright colours with many images which portrays the features inside this weeks issue.






Therefore with my contents page, I needed many images that could be used on this page. I wanted to use images of the artist I was promoting as this was the main article inside this weeks issue that is attracting a lot of the audience. Therefore I decided I would Use 3 different images which would go across the bottom on the contents Page. I would also have to add the different features which were inside along with page numbers to give the audience an idea of what page each article and feature was at.

I also wanted to make my contents page more unique then other content pages, therefore I decided to add a "Subscribe" feature where it gives the audience the option to get the magazine delivered to their door weekly. The contents page also gives a clear understanding of what page you can find a feature on, and by having numbered pages makes it easier for the audience. Here is a process of how I made the contents page:






To create my Contents Page was a long process. This was because I had to add more images and more information. My contents page was made when I had to add the "Edgy sound logo". I decided to add the logo to the top of the page so that audience recongises it straight away and it becomes a logo that they become familiar with. I then added the pink boarder to the left side of the contents page as It was on the front cover and I wanted to substain the consistency throughout the magazine, the "subscribe" feature and the features which were inside this weeks issue.  To add the final touch, I then added the pictures. I had a few problems with the pictures as I did not know where to place these images as They couldn't fit onto the page. I didn't know how many images would be be good and how many images would fit. Therefore I decided to add 3 images and tilt them at an angle at the bottom of the contents page to ensure that they would all fit, and luckily they did.

No comments:

Post a Comment